Food Safety - Temporaries
A Temporary Food Establishment is defined as a food establishment that operates for a period of no more than fourteen (14) consecutive days in conjunction with a single event or celebration. The operator is expected to set up their food establishment at a fixed location during the event and remove the establishment at its conclusion. Possible events include festivals, farmer’s markets, street fairs, parades, and other community gatherings. This manual is intended for use as a training tool and preparatory guide for completing the Temporary Food Exam.
The exam is intended for the exclusive use of temporary food establishment operators that are offering a limited menu. Limited in terms of the complexity of preparation and number of foods, these menus may include items such as hamburgers, hot dogs, sausages, or pizza. Based on the menu of the food establishment, SIPH may require successful completion of a nationally accredited exam.
Please contact your local Environmental Health Specialist or the main office at (208) 239-5270 with questions or to schedule an exam. The exam may also be taken online at https://foodsafetyexams.dhw.idaho.gov/
- Fill out the application and include a menu
- Pay the Fee:
- $35.00 – temporary vendor operating for ONE day at ONE event
- $45.00 – temporary vendor operating for TWO to THREE days at ONE event
- $80.00 – temporary vendor operating for FOUR or more days at ONE event OR at MULTIPLE events
- Meet the temporary certification requirement:
- The test is available at Southeastern Idaho Public Health and can be taken at any of our offices.
- Please call the main office at 208.239.5270 to make an appointment
- The test is open book and you may use the temporary manual to take it
- The test has 25 questions and a passing score is 75%
- You must be inspected and licensed before you will be allowed to operate
- The temporary booth inspection checklist contains the necessary requirements
- You may be licensed the morning of at the event OR by appointment prior to the event
- You MUST call the main office at 208.239.5270 to schedule your inspection
** Applications must be turned in two (2) weeks prior to the event to ensure licensing and inspection can occur.